100% hands-on from start to finish!
Experience a uniquely authentic Japanese Cuisine for yourself!
The region around Matsumoto is famous throughout Japan for the quality of its Soba (noodles made with buckwheat flour), thanks to the exceptional quality of the local environment. Just a short walk from Matsumoto Castle, you can sample this traditional Japanese dish and even have a go at preparing it yourself!
After touring Matsumoto Castle, the soba-making workshop is a perfect opportunity to get more than just the literal bite of this tradition. Step into the shoes of an apprentice and learn from an experienced soba master! Discover all the basics and learn how to use authentic soba-making tools. The activity is divided into two stages and it’s completely hands-on from start to finish. The best part is you get to eat your own noodles at the end!
This is an exciting and enriching experience you can share with family and friends, and an unforgettable way to discover a unique aspect of Japanese cuisine!
Your program during the activity!
- Starting : 9:30 am We will meet you at Matsumoto Station. The pick-up details will be arranged a few days before the activity by email.
- Matsumoto Castle Tour (Around 1 hour) : Matsumoto Castle is 1 of only 5 castles designated a “National Treasure” of Japan due to its well-preserved original structure.
- Preparing and cutting the Soba (Around 1 hour) : Begins with a short video introduction presenting the Soba and explaining the different steps involved in making it, from preparation of the dough to cutting the noodles, you will quickly start making this traditional Japanese dish. Under the watchful eye of a Soba Master, get step-by-step guidence in all of the stages required in making these noodles.
- Soba tasting (Around 1 hour) : Once the noodles have been cut, proceed to the restaurant where the Soba Master will cook the Soba that you have made yourself. Now you’re ready to taste your creation. Enjoy the Soba in its different forms – hot or chilled, even with Tempura (fried vegetables) and other side dishs!
- Total Duration : 3 hours You will end at the same place
Price & Booking
Children will be charge the same price as adults.
*Prices are tax included. We accept payment through bank transfer, credit card and Paypal.
- Entry/Admission – Matsumoto Castle
- Soba Noodle Making with the Soba Master and your English or French speaking Private Guide
- Soba Noodle Tasting (cold)
- Other kind of Soba Noodle Tasting (Hot or Soup)
- Side Dish (Tempura, Karaage etc.) and Drinks (Tea is included with the lunch)
- Miscellaneous fees during the activity (snacks, souvenirs, etc.)
- Insurance (Travel Insurance, Private Insurance, etc…)
- Duration : 3 hours
- Pick-up : the pick-up details will be arranged a few days before the activity by email
- Group Type : Not Private
- Important information : The activity takes place in group of two people (1 bucket = 2 people with a minimum of 2 bucket).
- Other : Please note that the stairs to reach the top of Matsumoto Castle’s tower are steep and narrow.
- Covid-19: Nagano Prefectural Government’s Preventive Measures Video
- Starting Time : 9:30 am. Other Starting Time available upon request (Fee JPY 2,000)
- Cancellation policy : to receive a full refund, cancel up to 24 hours before the experience start date in the local timezone. No refunds will be given after that time period.
- Terms & Conditions : Please read our Terms & Conditions